The new E10 petrol is replacing the standard E5 petrol from the 1st of September 2021!
In a bid to cut transport related CO2 emissions and tackle climate change, the standard petrol grade in the UK is changing to E10, which contains 10% bio-ethanol and is taken from renewable sources vs E5 which only contains 5% ethanol.
It is estimated that the change to E10 will cut the UK’s CO2 emissions by 750,000 tonnes a year – equivalent to removing 350,000 cars from the road.
All Volkswagens manufactured in 2011 onwards are compatible with the new E10 petrol. However, some older Volkswagen vehicles are not compatible and are listed below:
- Bora - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI Saloon and Estate made from October 2001 to September 2005
- Golf mark 4 - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from November 2001 to May 2004
- Golf mark 4 Estate - 1.6 litre (81kW) FSI made from October 2001 to October 2006
- Golf mark 5 - 1.4 litre (66kW) FSI made from November 2003 to November 2004
- Golf mark 5 - 1.6 litre (85kw) FSI made from August 2003 to May 2004
- Golf mark 5 2.0 litre (110 kW) FSI made from January 2004 to May 2004
- Lupo – 1.4 litre (77kW) FSI made from August 2001 to November 2003
- Polo – 1.4 litre (63kW) FSI made from February 2002 to June 2006
- Touran – 1.6 litre (85kW) FSI made from November 2002 to May 2004
- Touran – 2.0 litre (110kW) FSI made from October 2003 to May 2004
If you are unsure if your Volkswagen is compatible with E10, click here for further information.